A marzipan filled Christmas Stollen is a wonderfully delicious treat served with coffee on a winter’s afternoon. This recipe is from a dear friend of ours.
1 kilo flour
100 grams fresh yeast (or 2 pkg dry)
1/2 liter lukewarm milk
200 grams sugar
1/2 tsp salt
450 grams unsalted butter softened
grated peel of one lemon
1/2 tsp each grated nutmeg and cardamom
500 grams raisins
150 grams currents
150 grams candied lemon peel
100 grams candied orange peel
200 grams blanched almonds, chopped
50 grams unpeeled almonds chopped
5 tablespoons dark rum
125 grams almond paste
65 grams butter
2-3 egg yolks
80 grams sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
100 grams flour
Melted butter for brushing baked loaves (app. 1/2 cup)
App. 250 grams icing sugar, sifted with 5-7 packages vanilla sugar
Note: Allow yourself a day because of the time required for the dough to rise.
- Soak raisins and currants in rum overnight.
- Sift flour in large bowl, make well in center and add broken or dry yeast, 3 Tbsp sugar, and half the milk. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Add sugar, spices, lemon peel, very soft butter, and enough milk to form a smooth, elastic dough (should not be sticky). Knead by hand on floured surface until very smooth, about 15 minutes.
- Form dough into large square with rolling pin and spread all Filling ingredients on top. Fold dough over several times and knead briefly until filling is incorporated fairly evenly into dough.
- Cut into 2 pieces, place in slightly buttered bowls and let rise, covered, in a warm place for about 3 hours or until triple in bulk.
- Punch down, knead briefly and let rise for another 30-50 minutes.
- Form into 4 circles, place each with 1/4 of the Marzipan filling and fold into loaves. Don’t press down seam, but seal ends by folding them under.
- Place 2 loaves each on well buttered baking sheets and let rise, covered, another hour or more.
- Bake in 350°F (177°C) oven for about 45-55 minutes. Remove from oven and brush liberally with melted butter. While still hot, roll in lots of icing sugar mix. Pat firmly onto the loaves to form a solid coating and to seal them.
- Cool completely on rack and wrap well. Stollen will keep for several weeks.